Tuesday, November 10, 2009

the Fowler's Family room

Over the summer, I've had a few "design irons" in the fire. One fire put out that I can now share with you is the Fowler's Family Room. They wanted a make-over and I was glad to help. The above photo shows the plan I laid out...
Updated finishes, fabrics, and colors. New window treatments, new lighting, new furniture, and a new cozy feel.
Here are a few before photos.
Notice the outdated fan & light....
& the TV is way too large for its cabinet....
a boring builder beige wall color...
& mixmatched furniture (and the sofa was too long).....
& uh, we need something here...too much clutter in this nook.... So I put the plan to work and I'm happy to say my clients loved the outcome!
I used a larger console, at a much better scale for the TV, with a rich dark wood tone. The back wall was painted a gray-green to punch up the character in the room. I accented with the gray-green again in the window panels to pull everything together.
Remember the red leather sofa & recliner? They were switched out with an updated rich brown leather recliner & a cozy linen sofa.
The homeowners have great taste in art and were able to pick up the leafy prints on their cruise this summer...
A brown stripe in the window treatments helped tie in the new brown leather in the room for a more cohesive design...A new linen sofa fit the space better. And new throw pillows accented in brown, again, tie it all together... I love the small faceted mirrored table from West Elm. Its perfect for a small area, but still gives you a surface for drinks while relaxing. I wasn't sure Mrs. Fowler would go for it, but said she especially loved the table once installed! Success!
And remember the cluttered desk and brass shelving in the akward nook? I sketched the design for built-in shelving so that it looks as if it were always there. The wood was painted white to match the room's existing trim, and we used the same gray-green color on the back wall of the unit. The space now has a much cleaner look. An overall photo.... Hope to share more summer projects soon!

2 comments:

  1. Sofa Recliner can provides you comfortable seating options for your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the clean crisp look!...Christine

    ReplyDelete